Inertia, noun: A property of matter by which it continues in its existing state of rest or uniform motion in a straight line, unless that state is changed by an external force. Or for more everyday mortals, it is a tendency to do nothing or remain unchanged. I should know because I have a lot of it.
Status quo can be a wonderful, wonderful thing. I have been sitting along in my little corner, watching life pass me by (and what a lovely view it is!), and each time I’ve felt happy to not be in some crazy race to do anything. But sitting in a corner can get unduly comfortable, so comfortable that you forget how jubilant a jump can be. So things must change.
Before life’s strong external forces slam me aside, I have decided to jump onto a better, clearer track. So what should a girl’s goals be?
- Get a stellar career
- Higher (and higher) education
- Lose weight
- More life skills
- Magically transform into a do-it-all princess
And do all of this before anyone can say “kids”! (Sigh, the perils of nearing 30)
However, we all know how these goals work out. You have dreams in your eyes but not enough gumption in the heart and strength in your muscles to get things done. So I’ve decided to take help from one of my favourite bloggers, Wait But Why, and see how their wonderful strategy of beating the procrastination monkey works.
The crux of the whole blog (and don’t you dare miss reading the blog), is that to achieve something big, you’ve got to break it down into smaller-sized chunks, and then meet them one-by-one till you get to your lovely destination.
So here is my attempt at trying this out.
1. Get a Stellar Career
No matter how hard I try, I just can’t seem to break this one down. I am not really sure (still) what I am truly passionate about that can also yield
some a lot of money. So maybe the goal here remains to figure out.
2. High Education
Logically, this is the first step toward #1 above but within this goal, what I need to do is write the GMAT, apply to a couple of colleges and hopefully get admitted. So here are mini plans:
- Attempt the exam on June 14. Not the final one, but just a trial to see where I stand. Once I get this out of the way, I could formulate a better next goal.
- Keep practising some sums this week and next to make sure the attempt isn’t a complete disaster.
3. Lose Weight
- OK, this one is tough. I truly want to write “watch the diet” but I know it’s pointless. Especially not when I am vacationing this week.
- Fine! Exercise. But do more fun stuff and not things I don’t enjoy. I have realized that exercise needs a lot of motivation for me and it’s not easy to get me hooked onto a regular regimen. However, the new 30-day ab workout challenge and the everyday badminton and swimming routine might just help a bit here.
- But this is still not a goal.
- Here we go: Come rain, come torrid sunlight, everyday I will put in 30-minutes of exercise. For the next two weeks. We’ll see what to do next from there.
4. More Life Skills
- Blog!! #easywin. But let’s start with one blog a week. I still have my last trips to jot down so should have enough fodder to see the end of June at least.
- I was also gifted a DSLR recently by my very considerate husband. So now by the end of June, I should have an album I can be proud of. Especially with pictures from my two trips in June: Goa and Benaras.
5. Magically Transform into a Do-It-All Princess
I was really kidding about this one. All the pressures on women these days expect you to be nothing short of a magical pixie or a lucky princess with a fairy godmother on her side. I saw Maleficent today and I loved it. I loved it because it tried to redefine a lot of things for society in general. 1) Make choices that improve your quality of life, not those that help you conform better to society; 2) Don’t let the love of a man define you because you can be more than that; 3) count your blessings in times of joy and watch your tongue in times of despair. You might not turn into Cinderella but you’d kick ass just the same. 🙂
So help me stick to this plan, and see if this inspires you to start charting progress against those goals that have been hanging around in your head for a while. And if you do, do motivate me with your updates as well. God knows I need it.